Draft presidential Measures To Apply and Implement in Uzbekistan of Regulatory Documents In the Field of Atomic Energy Use of the Russian Federation Decree” has been posted for public consultation.
“In accordance with the nuclear power plant construction deal between Uzbekistan and Russia on signed on September 7, 2018 in Moscow, an agreement was reached on application of federal norms and rules of the Russian Federation in the field of atomic energy use when choosing a site, designing, construction and warranty operation of a nuclear power plant comprising two power units using a water-cooled water-moderated power reactors as per the Russian project ", - stated in the draft document.
As part of the implementation of the investment project, the regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation will be applied when:
- performing works and provision of services by foreign and local organizations and individuals for placement, surveying, designing, expert check, production, construction (including installation, commissioning, testing, as-built documentation, intermediate acceptance), commissioning, operation, reconstruction, modernization, overhaul, decommissioning of nuclear facilities;
- licensing of activities in the field of atomic energy use;
- organizing and conducting of safety expert check (safety testing) of nuclear facilities;
- transporting, handling, storage of nuclear materials, disposal of radioactive waste;
- state regulation of the safety of nuclear facilities.
The draft document states that the applicable rules and regulations, regulatory documents of state safety regulatory agencies, as well as the government bodies responsible fo the use of atomic energy of the Russian Federation in the field of atomic energy use are equal to the regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Uzbekistan registered by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Subject to the decree being adopted, the Cabinet of Ministers will be charged within three months to issue a government resolution providing for the establishment and organization of activities, as well as sources of funding for the Research Center for development of the national regulatory framework of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the field of atomic energy.