Today early in the morning, a fire broke out in a hostel in Almaty (Kazakhstan), which killed 13 people, Tengrinews.kz said.
As the press service of the Uzbekistan Foreign Ministry said, two nationals of Uzbekistan died in the incident, their identities have been identified - both were males born in 2000. Currently, the Uzbek consulate general in Almaty is working with the the city mayor’s office and the relevant departments of Kazakhstan. The Foreign Ministry stated that it would provide all possible assistance to the relatives of the victims in transporting their bodies to their homeland.
There were supposedly 72 people in the hostel, 59 of whom self-evacuated.
Reportedly, during reconnaissance and extinguishing, 13 victims were discovered; their identities are being established. Presumably, they died from carbon monoxide poisoning,” the report says.
The Department of Emergency Situations in Almaty city reported that the building was converted into a hostel 1.5 months ago. According to provisional data, the fire broke out in the basement corridor.
Almaty city mayor Erbolat Dosayev told Zakon.kz that it was not allowed to build a hostel in a basement.
“Accommodation of guests in basement floors is prohibited. It is allowed to re-equip, bring it into compliance with sanitary standards... The basement may host a kitchen, basements, etc.,” said Erbolat Dosayev.