On May 4 Shavkat Mirziyoyev signed a decree to rename Tashkent airport after the late President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov.
The Decree has formed a special commission headed by Prime Minister Abdullah Aripov, which will prepare a Program of measures intended to improve operational efficiency and the passenger service quality at the airport.
The Prime Minister, Uzbekistan Airways, the Customs Committee, the Border Protection Committee under the National Security Service, the Interior Ministry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Tourism Development Committee and the Tashkent mayor’s office are instructed to draft in a month's time and submit for approval a Program of Integrated Measures.
This program should contain measures to achieve the following:
- improving the security system, reduction of time for passengers to pass customs, border and immigration control by introducing modern technologies;
- critical assessment of current staff and raising the criteria for recruitment of staff, prevention of power abuse;
- ensuring quality service to arriving passengers, guests and foreign delegations, creating an atmosphere of genuine cordiality and hospitality inherent in the Uzbek people;
- creation of necessary facilities for those accompanying and meeting passengers, foresee a parking on a specially allocated territory, improve landscaping;
- introduction of foreign best practices to improve the quality of all airport and passenger services.