Wednesday, 17, July, 2024

106 people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning and gas balsts in Uzbekistan year-to-date, another 190 received various bodily injuries, the President Shavkat Mirziyoyev said today at a government meeting.

Shavkat Mirziyoyev touched upon carbon monoxide poisoning and gas blasts incidents. He instructed to critically study and radically reform the activities of the Fire Safety Authority under the Ministry of Emergency Situations, to enhance fire prevention.

He noted that the main causes of tragedies were the use by households of home-made and sub-standard gas equipment, faulty chimneys, connection to the gas network using rubber hoses. All this leads to injury and death from carbon monoxide poisoning and blasts.

Another major issue contributing to gas emergencies is apartment redesigning. As a result, gas distribution networks and equipment are closed under plasterboard, built-in furniture or household appliances, which is absolutely unacceptable, since this blocks access to them.

In addition, apartment owners often do not allow workers of gas facilities to visit their homes, and not taking gas equipment maintenance measures.

Latest in National