The category of persons entitled to apply to the Constitutional Court of Uzbekistan will be expanded. This is provided for by the roadmap for the implementation of the National Human Rights Strategy.
The roadmap instructed the responsible organizations to prepare the relevant a draft bill until July 2020.
It is planned to simplify the procedure for applying to the Constitutional Court over the constitutionality of the provisions of laws. At the same time, it is envisaged to add individuals and legal entities in the list of people entitled to submit matters to the Constitutional Court to review the compliance of laws with the Constitution.
In addition, it is planned to add the Commissioner for Protection of Rights and Legal Interests of Entrepreneurs and the National Center for Human Rights to the said list.
Currently, the following are entitled to submit to the Constitutional Court is:
• Chambers of the Oliy Majlis of Uzbekistan;
• President of Uzbekistan;
• Cabinet of Ministers;
• Commissioner for Human Rights (Ombudsman);
• Zhokargy Kenes of the Republic of Karakalpakstan;
• Group of MPs- at least one fourth of the total deputies of the Legislative Chamber;
• Group of senators - at least one fourth of the total number of members of the Senate;
• Supreme Court;
• Prosecutor General.
• At least three judges of the Constitutional Court.